A Summer Reading List

July 23, 2017

One of my goals for this summer is to get through some of the books that seem 'important' to read. When I say important, I guess what I really mean is the classics; the books that always appear on 'Top 50' lists, or that are thought to have some significant social or historical context. I know I can't possibly read them all, but I thought a list of eight would give me something to aim for...

1) 1984 - George Orwell

2) Animal Farm - George Orwell

3) To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

4) Of Mice And Men - John Steinbeck

5) Lord Of The Flies - William Golding

6) The Great Gatsby - F.Scott Fitzgerald

7) The Bell Jar - Sylvia Path

8) The Diary Of A Young Girl - Anne Frank

Admittedly, not all of these books are new to me. To Kill A Mockingbird was part of my English GCSE course, but we were made to analyse the plot and context to a point where the story was no longer enjoyable. The Bell Jar and Of Mice And Men were also introduced to me when I was eleven, but I can barely remember their storylines and I imagine that much of the meaning was lost to me at that point. I'm hoping that this time they'll have more of a lasting impression.

What will you be reading this summer?

Follow
Post Comment
Post a Comment